Thursday, July 22, 2010

iPad: Tool or toy? Let's find out


Since it's introduction, the iPad has suffered from a bit of an identity crisis. Sure it's a great entertainment device for taking digital content to the next level of mobility. But does it have a place for business?

We're focusing on that with our new iPad. What is it going to do for you as a business person? What apps really make a difference for mobile users? Can it take the place and even improve upon the notebook? Can it satisfy even PC users?

To set up our test, here are a few basics: I have a 32 GB iPad with both WiFi and 3G.. The latter was my biggest decision. I just couldn't decide if I needed the 3G and if it would be worth the money. That will be one of the things we'll learn as we go through this process. 

I am writing this post as a note because I started it at the dentist's office and did not have wifi there. My plan will be not to pay for 3G until I really think I need it. Working on a blog post while in the waiting room did not rise to that level.

The first thing I will say is how I love typing on the keyboard. The feel is terrific but it takes some getting used to. A stray finger and you've got some errant letters. 

Please comment and let me know if there's anything particular you want to know about the iPad. Next up I'll take a look at business related applications for iPhone running on the iPad and how well they work.. Or do you even need them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment